THE YOUTH CORPS OF AMERICA, INC. IS DEDICATED TO FACILITATING EFFECTIVE REASEARCH-BASED PROGRAMS.
“The foundation of TYCoA is based on building young, compassionate, communiy leaders through adult mentoring.” –Christopher D. Valdez CEO/Founder
- Children and youth who don’t use alcohol or drugs before the age of 18 have nearly a zero chance of becoming an adult alcoholic or drug user.
- Almost one-fourth of ninth graders reported having tried binge drinking (having had five or more drinks on one occasion).
- As of 2000, the youth drug rate of 14.4% in Arizona was higher than the national average of 9.9%.*
- 30% of Tucson teens have reported marijuana use.*
- Youths who reported past year alcohol or illicit drug use were more substantially more likely to be at risk for suicide than youths who did not use these substances.
- A comprehensive system of prevention approaches using risk and protective factors is the most effective method of decreasing alcohol and drugs-use, gang violence, school dropouts, and delinquency.
*SAMHSA-Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Adminsistration (Health & Human Services, Washington, D.C.)